I teach audio design to game designers and interaction designers at the Utrecht of the Arts. Here are some valuable links for finding audio material and some tools. In case you have something valuable to add, you know where to find the comments section.
- Practicum – Practicum files!
- Audition: audio editor that isn’t free but is ‘free’ for PC.
- Audacity: free audio editor
- Tracktion 5: free version of a music production program. You could also work with audio files in this program. You’ll probably need some VST-plugins in addition too.
- 25 Free Digital Audio Editors You Should Know: list of free audio editors
- The Freesound Project: The Freesound Project aims to create a huge collaborative database of audio snippets, samples, recordings, bleeps, … mostly CC-by license, so include the creators in your credits!
- http://digifx.hku.nl/ [Only for HKU-students, access limited to HKU network.]
- Free sound links
- Looperman: cool loops
- Loopasonic: free loops
- Radio Daddy (voice over community voor radio voices, place a request for leaders, one-liners, etc)
- OPsound – “free love, free music” (?)
- Findsounds.com slightly out-dated database with sound files
- Sound design guide: how to make certain sounds?
- …more to be added soon…